- Published: Sunday, 17 May 2015 16:07
- Hits: 2122
The Greater Phoenix Chapter of the Barbershop Harmony Society was founded on February 14, 1943, just five years after the Society was formed in 1938. It is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and encouragement of "barbershop" style, four-part harmony singing. It was the second chapter to form in what was later to become the Far Western District.
Chartered in Phoenix, Arizona USA, it is the parent organization to a number of outstanding performing groups, including:
- The Phoenicians - Three-time International Chorus Champion (1972, 1976 & 1983)
- Desert Knights - 1957 Far Western District Champion
- The Western Continentals - 1968 International Quartet Champion
- The Stage Four - 1972 Far Western District Champion
- Remember When - 1980 Far Western Fistrict Champion
- The Kundsen Brothers - 1985 Far Western District Champion
- Standing Room Only - 1992 Far Western District Champion
- Applause! - 2000 Far Western District Champion
- Finale - 2001 Far Western District Champion
- Audacity - 2009 International Seniors Quartet Champion
- High Priority - 2016 International Seniors Quartet Champion
... and numerous International and Far Western District Champion and Medalist Quartets.
- Published: Thursday, 21 May 2015 18:07
- Hits: 2436
The Greater Phoenix Chapter of the Barbershop Harmony Society is a musical fraternity dedicated to enriching lives by sharing our deep joy and passion for vocal music through:
- Artistically Innovative Performance
- Education and Cultivation
- Community Outreach
- Published: Thursday, 21 May 2015 17:19
- Hits: 2646
The Greater Phoenix Chapter Board of Directors is elected at the chapter's annual meeting held each fall. Members of the Board serve a one-year term, from January 1 through December 31. There are numerous committees chaired by Board members, and reports of these committees is discussed during Board meetings, held once each month. Board meetings are open to any member of the chapter.
- Published: Friday, 22 May 2015 23:19
- Hits: 2015
The Chapter President presides over the Board of Directors, and is responsible for for the health and well being of the Chapter. The following is a list of men who have served the Chapter in that role since its inception.
- Published: Friday, 22 May 2015 23:20
- Hits: 1957
History of the BOTY
The Barbershopper of the Year (BOTY) award may be presented, annually, to a member of the chorus, who in the opinion of the membership, has done the most to benefit the chapter during the year.
All members of the chorus, except those previous BOTY winners, are eligible to receive the award. The list of past recipients shows dedication to the chapter as well as to barbershopping in general. Every sucessful chapter depends upon many willing and capable leaders to be members of the Board of Directors or the Music Team, or do exceptional service to the chapter.
The BOTY is a cherished honor to those who receive it. The list to the left gives credit to those who have earned this honor.